Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rainbow Trout

Again the picture is a bit fuzzy, I swear I'm going to get it under control. Anyway I made this cake a couple of weeks ago for my B.I.L. Dave. His friends were flying in for a fishing trip. He insisted on carrot cake, with pineapple, which I have never done before. But I turned to Ina Garten, who has never led me astray, and like the rest of her recipes I tried, it was perfect. (p.s. I almost doubled the pineapple and omitted the raisins and walnuts, because that's just gross, If anyone wants to google her recipe, I recommend it with those few adjustments)
Also this was my first hand-painted cake, although I think it doesn't look quite as good in the picture as it did in real life, I really thought it turned out good. And on top of that I was glad to try out this new technique, and get it under my belt a little bit, because that will open up some new options in the future. Also it's hard to tell, but I put the gills underneath the fondant, which gave it a cool look, which I haven't done before.

Overall I liked this cake, I didn't feel there were any issues with it. Happy Fishing!

1 comment:

Leah Aston said...

I think the raisins and walnuts would be nice. :) I wish you had a close-up of the gills.