Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rylee's Birthday!!

Well, it's official, she's not a baby anymore, She's 3! Rylee has been really into The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle for a long time. She has the whole thing memorized, and if you ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, she says "I'm going to be a big fat caterpillar!"
 So probably more than 6 months ago she told me she wanted her cake and birthday to be a big fat caterpillar birthday. She was surprisingly picky about how I made the cake. She also wanted it to say, Happy Birthday Rylee Kate Deamer, which I had to tell her, I just couldn't fit. So after a long conversation we compromised with just Rylee Kate.
 If you have read the book, the little caterpillar wakes up to the warm sun, and goes and eats his way through quite a bit of food, until he turns into a big fat caterpillar, and then a butterfly. All the pictures have this hand painted kind of look to them. So that is what I tried to recreate. I hand painted everything. I like how it turned out.
 When I made this caterpillar, Rylee came in and I said, "Rylee what do you think?" She looked at it and said, " It's not big enough." I had to tell her it's 7 and a half feet long. Also it couldn't be any bigger because our wall is only so big. (Good to know she's only 3 and already not impressed with my home made decorations.)
 I also made all the food that the caterpillar eats his way through.

 And the nice green leaf.
 Right before the party, I was thinking, "Shoot I should have made something for the table." And I suddenly saw a little bit of green and red tissue paper. Since I didn't have a lot, I had to make them kind of small, but I thought it was  a cute little touch.
 Of course I had to have the warm sun, coming up.
 I made Rylee this caterpillar costume. (although you can't see it that great in this pic.) And my wonderfully talented mom, made the hat, which totally makes the whole thing.
 Oh, and one last caterpillar, out of balloons. Luckily I happen to live close to what seems like the only store that still has helium.
 And there she is with her cake! It was a fun party, thanks to all my family who indulges us in these little parties and comes. (By the way, later, when the caterpillar was up, Rylee was very excited about it, and had clearly forgotten that she had thought it was too small before.
Rylee is such a funny girl, and so smart. She speaks incredibly well, knows all her letters, and sounds, can count up to 30. Can also spell her own name, and tell you my phone number, and our address. She is so fun to have around, and I can't believe she is already 3!

1 comment:

Leah Aston said...

Oh my heavens that is all so adorable! Have we not talked about the party since the party? I love all the decorations, and I love how you put the food of the caterpillar on the cake, so so cute!!!
The balloons were a cute touch!